ID Card

How to Obtain an ID Card

Starting October 1, 2020, every U.S. air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel.

How Old Must You Be to Get an ID Card?

Anyone aged 5 and over may apply for an ID Card.

Paperwork Requirements

When you take these documents in to get your ID card, they will be scanned and returned to you.

The important thing to remember is that to get a state REAL ID, you will need documentation showing any name changes you have had. The following documents are acceptable proofs of identity.

Primary Identification Requirements

An original or certified copy of ONE of the following:

  • U.S. birth certificate. These are available at the clerk’s office in the county of your birth. Hospital birth certificates will not be accepted.
  • Valid U.S. passport
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization, form N-550 or form N-570
  • Certificate of Citizenship, form N-560 or form N-561

If your name has changed for any reason, (marriage, divorce, court order) you must present documentation to show all your name changes. If you have a valid U.S. passport with your current name, you do not have to provide documentation showing name changes.

Proof of Social Security Requirements

An original of ONE of the following documents with your complete name and social security number

  • Social Security card (with your current name)
  • W-2 form, typewritten
  • Paycheck stub
  • SSA-1099
  • Any typewritten form 1099

Proof of Residential Address Requirements

Go through this list carefully. Copies are allowed.

You cannot use your current driver license or state ID to show proof of residency.

  • Voter registration card
  • Utility bill in your name
  • A work order to hook up utilities at your address dated within 60 days before your application
  • Vehicle registration
  • Current car insurance policy or bill
  • Monthly house payment coupons, deed, lease, mortgage payment booklet or statement
  • Current homeowners insurance bill or policy
  • Selective service card
  • Health or medical card with your address
  • Mail from government agencies, i.e. federal, state, county or city governmental units
  • Mail from financial institutions, including statements from checking, savings or investment accounts.
  • Transcripts of the current year from your school
  • A current professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 form or 1099 form
  • Form DS 2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
  • If you are currently not traditionally housed, a letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a halfway house stating they receive mail for the customer. A completed Certification of Address (Form 71120) must accompany this letter.
  • If you don’t have any of the documents which show your address with your name, you may provide two proofs of residential address from a parent, stepparent, legal guardian or another person with whom you live AND a Certification of Address (Form 71120).

Unless your name or address changes before you renew your ID, you won’t have to show all these documents. If your name changes (marriage, divorce, court order) you must show either the original changing document (divorce decree, marriage license or court order) or a certified copy of that document. Both originals and certified copies are available at the clerk’s office in the county where they were originally filed. There is usually a small fee required.